Tonight I was emailing a friend some of my thoughts heading into tomorrow's meeting with the oncologist and I thought I would share them with you, too.  In case you don't remember (or can't keep track of the many doctor's appointments!), tomorrow I meet with the medical oncologist to find out if chemo will be recommended and/or some other adjuvant therapy.  Like I've said many times, chemo is not the road I want to walk.  But even now, thinking about it, I'm not afraid.  These verses came to mind: 
  • "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" (Matt. 10:28-31).  
  • "The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man [or cancer] do to me?" (Ps. 118:6).
Tonight I have been thinking of all the many, many blessings I have in my life.  Who am I that God is mindful of me? (Ps. 8:4)  And yet He showers me with family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, good doctors, health insurance, work, beauty, peace, and grace upon grace.  He even gives me grace to trust Him more.  I hope I will remember that tomorrow, even if the news is not what I would wish.  A friend reminded me of the hymn Abide With Me recently.  All of the lyrics are lovely, but I especially like these tonight:
I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears not bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.
As for more nitty-gritty recovery news, now that the swelling has receded, it looks to me like my expanders are sitting at two different heights and that the edges of the expanders protrude on either side.  I am hoping this will go away as they get filled more, because right now I think loose-fitting shirts or ones with ruffles are all that will be in my future.  Maybe I will start a new trend.  :)  I am feeling stronger every day and went for a walk today to build up some strength.  I'm still sleeping on the couch, but might try my bed again tomorrow night.  Other than that, there's not a whole lot that's new with me these days.  Tomorrow I will have more to report.

As always, much love to all of you...

Comments

  1. Sounds good, my sweet, faithful friend and follower of Christ. Glad you are resting in Him and that you are getting stronger. Praying for your doctor visit tomorrow. Miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent this quote to a friend yesterday and was going to bring it to you today, but thought it appropriate to share here. This was my reading in Elizabeth Elliot yesterday morning: " We may not be permitted to sidestep that thing we are dreading, but heaven will certainly send us all the help we need. When the Father's answer is No, let us not complain that He did not hear our prayer. No is an answer. His refusals are probably among His greatest acts of love--incomprehensible to us at the time, but after we have endured the trial, we will discover that we have been established, strengthened, and settled in a manner impossible had we not been given the chance (and the divine mercy) to endure."
    Your comments on death are particularly appropriate because Chemo is a death--death of many cells, good and bad. How great that we have a Heavenly Father who is with us each step of this journey--in life or in death, chemo or no chemo-whatever the decision is today. We ask wisdom for the Dr. and for all who join you in making this decision. Love you, Annie! Mom (see you in a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts