How Far I've Come

I have shared some of the emotions and thoughts I've been having since surgery, but haven't given a physical update in a while.  My mom was here with me from the day of surgery up until Sunday afternoon (12 days).  She was a HUGE help to me and took care of me with that special mother touch.  She cooked, cleaned, organized, emptied my drains, changed my bandages, kept me up to date with my pain meds, helped me shower and dress, learned how to fix my coffee the way I like it (which I can't replicate now that she's gone!), lifted all objects with any weight to them, reached everything above chest height, and basically left me free to do nothing but heal.

That being said, I was a little nervous when she left that I wouldn't be able to do all those things myself.  And I am still limited.  But I'm managing on my own.  All the bandages are finally off (today is my first day free of them), I've only had one pain pill over the past 48 hours, and I've managed to make myself presentable for two excursions out of the house.  I'm still sleeping on the couch because it provides the back support necessary for me to sleep even a tiny bit on my side, which is much more comfortable to me than my back.  I can't drive (but I got the go-ahead today to drive a bit if I feel up to it).  I can't wear shirts that I have to pull over my head and I can't stretch for high objects or ones far away from me.  Andrea had to move some of my dishes to lower shelves so I can reach them, even though Mom had moved almost everything to within arm's reach.  I still spend most of my time resting in my chair or on the couch, but I'm now awake more time than I'm asleep during the day.  I have quite a bit of discomfort that I now suspect is from the expanders, which means it won't be going away any time soon, but I'll soon be cleared to start some more challenging stretching and exercises to loosen up those muscles (the expanders are under my pectoral muscles and are stretching them to accommodate my final implants).  All in all, I'm very pleased with my progress.

I had my fourth vaccine today.  I had a break from the vaccines after surgery, but now it's once a week again for three weeks.  This time the injection was in my thigh.  They modified the protocol from strictly arm to alternating thigh-arm-thigh for the last three vaccines to give the arm injection site a break.  I was glad to learn that and to have another week for my arm to improve before it has to be stuck again.  Today I was talking with my nurses, who told me that the vaccine for melanoma (which is what the breast cancer vaccine is based on) is something people fly from around the world to get.  Just today someone flew into Charlottesville from the West Coast on a red eye, got the vaccine, and flew back this afternoon.  And they're doing this every week!  There was another patient from a country on the other side of the world who came here to stay while he/she was getting the vaccine.  This is pretty good stuff I'm getting - and I don't have to leave my own town! 

I have now heard from two of my cancer care providers that they are expecting that the medical oncologist will recommend chemotherapy when I meet with him on Tuesday.  Please pray that I will have wisdom in weighing the possible benefits of chemo with the risks of injecting poison into my system and that I will be able to make a decision based on all available information.  This is going to be a tough decision.  Or maybe the doctor won't suggest that at all!  That would be fantastic!  But all I have heard is that I am so young that the doctors will want to be aggressive in my treatment.  (On the bright side, I get to hear often how young I am!) 

Your prayers, encouraging emails, cards, and packages, visits, and gifts of service and food are most appreciated.  I thank God for you!  Much love...

Comments

  1. You have been and will continue to be in my daily prayers. My mother and grandmother both had breast cancer, so it runs heavily on that side of the family. I've asked myself before would I take chemo after seeing my Mom go through it. I will be praying specifically for you to make the right decision, and know that God has a future and a plan for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Jer. 29:11. ~Susan Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan-
    Thank you for your prayers and encouragement! They mean a lot. Have you started screenings yet, since breast cancer runs in your family? You might also want to get tested for the genetic mutation, since that would mean you'd need to monitor for ovarian cancer risk also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a mammogram, but haven't had the gene test yet. I've heard it's quite expensive, and figure my odds are pretty good I will get some form of cancer someday with my high risk female family. How's recovery going?
    ~Susan Bailey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts