Yesterday I had surgery to implant something called a port into my chest.  The port is a little reservoir about the size of a quarter that is placed under my skin by my collarbone.  A catheter (tube) runs from the port under my skin into my right jugular vein.  This allows chemo to be administered directly into my bloodstream, a more efficient means of getting the drugs into my system, which also spares the veins in my arms and legs from the harsh medications that could damage them.

This is what it looks like:
Bard Power Port











After two hours of surgery, this is the final result:


It's tender right now, but it should be completely healed by the time I get my first chemo on September 9th.  The port can be used for drawing blood or for administering anything I might need intravenously, not just chemo.  I am definitely looking forward to having fewer needlesticks!

Comments

  1. The port! Ah yes. My mom had hers for several years. Hopefully a MUCH longer time than you will need yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts