Surgery Dates!

Yesterday was yet another appointment with my surgical oncologist.  I am getting to be a way-too-frequent customer at the Breast Care Center!  I didn't even know what was supposed to happen at this appointment, but they told me to show up and I did.  :)  Turns out it was my pre-op appointment for my surgeries (sentinel node removal and the bilateral/double mastectomy) and so I finally got my surgery dates.  The sentinel node removal will be on July 26 in the main operating room at UVA, although I will be able to leave the same day.  The mastectomies will be on August 2, also in the main OR at UVA.  I'll stay a night or two in the hospital.  I feel like a secret shopper - seeing for myself the kind of quality patient care I report on as part of my job.  Getting cancer and then treatment at your hospital to experience patient outcomes for yourself - now that's dedication to your job!  LOL

I got an unexpected (but very welcome) appointment at the high risk breast and ovarian cancer clinic tomorrow morning, so I'm excited to hear more about that aspect of my care and hopefully get some answers regarding what will come after surgery and how we can monitor the risk of other cancers (ovarian, melanoma and pancreatic) that come with a BRCA2+ diagnosis.  So much is still unknown for me.

I still appreciate prayers for anxiety.  Some of you know I struggle with an anxiety disorder and obviously the stress of my current situation is taxing my coping resources.  I'm trying to put myself on a limit for fun nights out or long visits so I can manage some of the feelings of being overwhelmed.  I have so many wonderful people wanting to help me and cheer me up; not having enough time to spend with all of you is truly a good problem to have!  So, many thanks for every little thing you've done to make this time easier for me!  I appreciate everything you've done, from little cards on my desk to cooking for me to your prayers or a quick email just to check in.   It all means A LOT, even if I can't acknowledge everything in the way I want to.

Time to impose a bedtime on myself now.  I hope to post more tomorrow or over the weekend.  There is so much I want to say...  :)

Comments

Popular Posts