Clinical Trial

Today begins my adventure as a human guinea pig.  :)  I've agreed to be part of a clinical trial that is in the early stages of creating a vaccine for breast cancer.  I will be getting three vaccine shots (1 per week) in the time leading up to my surgery and three shots (1 per week) in the three weeks after surgery.  There will also be physicals and supplying lots of blood to analyze my immune response to the vaccine.  From what I hear, this same type of vaccine has been successfully tested with melanoma and is now being tested with breast cancer.


What this means for me is the possibility of flu-like side effects and a site reaction to the vaccine.  They have assured me, however, that the site reaction only lasts for about a year.  I had been expecting them to tell me that the site reaction only lasts for about a week, or a day, or maybe a month - but definitely not a year.  It's going to be some kind of reaction, I guess!  I will wear it as a badge of courage.  :)


What this means for the future is the hope that they will be able to create a vaccine that will prevent breast cancer.  My dream would be for my sweet little nieces to be able to get the vaccine when they grow up, so they will never have to experience what I am going through right now.


I am excited to be part of this trial, although all the fasting, blood draws, and vaccine reactions are going to be a drag.  Please pray for my continued strength.  I am so thankful for all your support!  The past two days have been so much better and I attribute it all to prayer.  Many thanks!!!

Comments

Popular Posts