June 23, 2011

Hello friends!  I want to give you an update on what has gone on this week in regards to my diagnoses and surgery options.  Most of you know that I found out that I'm BRCA 2+, which means I have a genetic mutation that puts me at much higher risk for developing breast and ovarian cancer (oddly enough, it's on chromosome 13 - how unlucky!  LOL).  Because of this and some reconstruction considerations, I decided to have a double mastectomy instead of the lumpectomy.  I am hopeful that I'll be able to have immediate reconstruction, but I will learn more when I meet with the plastic surgeon next Thursday.  Because my surgery now needs to be coordinated with the plastic surgeon's schedule, I may not have it on the 19th after all.  I will let you know when I know the date. 


The other thing that this decision changes is my recovery time.  I'm now looking at a month out of work.  I have to confess that this causes stress for me.  Work is really busy right now and I also need to train someone (actually, several someones) to do my job while I'm gone, which is not an easy task.  My role is unique and I work independently.  I am trying to write up instruction manuals for those covering for me, as well as stay on top of my ongoing work; it feels a bit overwhelming.  I would appreciate prayers that I will have clarity of thought while I work and won't be distracted by all that's going on with my health.  I also appreciate your grace toward me for my email response time.  Your encouraging emails mean so much to me and I want to reply to each of you individually, so it's been taking a while.  You all have given me so many expressions of kindness and care - you make this road 100 times easier. "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" (Phil. 1:3).

Comments

Popular Posts