Off We Go!

When I went for my appointment on Tuesday, my oncologist was already prepared with a recommendation for what treatment I should try next. It's a treatment regimen I've heard of and one that a few people I know have taken. It's actually two drugs taken in combination, similar to when I was on Ibrance, which I took in combination with Femara. My new drugs are Aromasin (which is an aromatase inhibitor, like Femara, which basically blocks estrogen in my body) and Afinitor, both of which are oral drugs.

Afinitor comes with a steroid mouthwash I'll need to use four times a day to prevent mouth sores. Other common side effects are itchy skin and/or a rash, fatigue, hot flashes, headache, high blood sugar, and an increased risk of infection, among others. I was able to start the Afinitor and steroid mouthwash last night, and I'll start the Aromasin when it comes in at the pharmacy tomorrow. It feels good to start treatment so quickly and not need to take a break between drugs. Also, these side effects seem manageable, although I have to say that I've felt pretty run down today and have been battling a headache since I woke up.

I'm a little nervous about a hormone-focused treatment working for me since my hormone-receptor status was down to 50% in my last biopsy, but I trust my oncologist. I'd hate to miss out on a treatment that might work for me.

Off we go!

As always, thank you for your prayers. support, and encouragement!


Comments

  1. I took Examestane (generic name for Aromasin) for five years after my radiation treatments finished for breast cancer. I did feel some of the side effects but nothing I couldn't live with. I'm now almost at my 7 year anniversary post cancer. I know that doesn't mean cancer is done with me yet--it could be but there are no guarantees. Both my mother and grandmother died from other cancers metastasized from their breast cancers. I don't have a hereditary type of breast cancer so mine isn't the same as theirs.
    Praying and thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts