Work-Life Balance

We have some big news in our house and for once it's not about me - Kevin got a job! He's been in school since before we got married and finally graduated in December. We thought that graduating was the big hurdle, but it turned out to be equally hard to find a job. There aren't many jobs out there for someone without experience. But perseverance paid off (with a dose of grace as well) and he'll start his job as a web developer on Monday!

It is such a relief to think that our income and health insurance won't be riding on my employment alone anymore. I can hardly imagine what that will be like - the whole time we've been married I've been the only one working. But, lest you feel bad for me - slaving away - there were some perks to being the working spouse: Kevin's done all of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, dog care, etc. Lately he's even been driving me to work.

But on Monday, this wife is going to have to step it up. Kevin's commute is going to be an hour and fifteen minutes each way. I don't think he's going to want to cook for me when he gets home, even if I do have cancer. And I'm sure he could continue taking me to work - if I want to be there at 6:30 in the morning. So things are about to change.

I don't know what that's going to look like. In the past, I've wished I could be the kind of wife I imagined I would be long, long ago - greeting my husband as he walks in the door with a delicious home-cooked meal and a spotless house. I've let go of that dream, but I don't want to renege on my promise "to have and to hold." He's going to need support, going into a brand new career with a long commute besides.

If you have any tips or tricks on how you make it work, leave me a comment! Or say a prayer for us. We'd both appreciate it.

Comments

  1. Congrats to your husband! I was in classes with him (that's how I found out about your blog), so I'm especially happy to hear he got a job. I'm working as a web developer, too now!

    Afraid I don't have any tips for you, but I'll continue to pray for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know he shared my blog with anyone! Thanks for reading. :) Glad to hear you found a job. Thanks so much for your prayers. We really appreciate them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts