The Good Thing About Having Cancer

Earlier this week, I was fortunate enough to spend several days with my extended family in Louisiana. We figured out that I haven't been to Lafayette since I was in 10th grade - much too long ago! I had a fabulous time with them. We joked that we were eating our way through Louisiana, since every night brought a new culinary experience, from crawfish pasta to cracklin and boudin. All washed down with my cousin's Swamp Pop (in some new flavors, too!).

While I was there, my cousin pointed out that I often said, "The good thing about having cancer is..." I guess it's not what she expected to hear someone in my situation say, but there ARE good things about having cancer. I thought it would be fun to share some.

  • You get great mail. People send you cards and packages when you least expect it.
  • People give you gift cards to restaurants or bring you meals. I always said I'd like a personal chef - this is almost the same!
  • I will get to retire early!
  • This one depends on your type of cancer and treatment, but for me, cancer means no more bras! Strapless dresses and tops? No problem. Finding a supportive swimsuit? A breeze - no support required!
  • You don't have to worry about using anti-aging cream anymore.
  • No. More. Periods. Period.
  • You get free stuff. I have a week at the beach coming up in September - all expenses paid. I've also gotten free socks, purses, scarves, soap, house-cleaning, encouraging reading material.
  • I use my Old Navy credit card to pay my medical bills, so each bill paid means more free clothes!
  • People tell you how great you look. I'm not sure what they're expecting when they see me, but hey, free compliment! I'll take it!
  • You get to find out you look good in short hair (or not).
  • You can get out of anything with the magic words, "But I have cancer..."
Yes, I joke about having cancer. Maybe it's a coping mechanism; I don't know. In talking with other metastatic patients, I've found many of them share my approach to making light of this serious disease. You can't be depressed all the time. There is still good. And there ARE good things about having cancer! :)

Comments

  1. This made me smile because if I've learned anything from working in Peds Hem/Onc, it's that cancer is the ultimate trump card. I once got diagnostic specimens for a kid on a clinical trial at 5 PM on Dec. 23 - the next two days were shipping holidays. It took forever to pack them up and I found myself at FedEx 15 min. after they closed standing at the counter screaming, "THE KID HAS CANCER! GET IT ON THE TRUCK." Magic words. The lab received them the next day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts