A Strange Pain Reliever

The issue that tipped us off to the spread of my cancer was back pain.  The CT scan showed a compression fracture on my T3 vertebrae, which is located here:

Source
I didn't initially understand what exactly a compression fracture is.  It actually isn't what we typically think of when we hear "fracture."  Basically, my vertebrae has been weakened by the cancer and one side became too weak to hold weight and gave way.

This is what has been causing my back pain.

The pain is with me most of the time.  Right now, I can make it through the work day with the help of a heating pad, but I am coming to learn that planning to do things after work isn't a great idea.  I had mentioned in a previous post that the thought of being in pain for the rest of my life was one of the most discouraging things about my diagnosis.  So I was thrilled to learn from my visit to the radiation oncologist on Thursday that ~80% of patients find that their pain is at least partially relieved by radiation, while 30-40% get complete pain relief from radiation.  Yippee!

I am also a candidate for a clinical trial that is testing administering one large dose of very focused radiation, rather than 5-10 treatments, as is the current standard.  I really like the idea that I can help promote research and findings that may advance the treatment of cancer, so of course I signed up.  My medical oncologist says that I can't do radiation until I am on a break from Ibrance (the drug that is 3 weeks on, 1 week off), so I can't go in until Aug. 18.

On that day, I'll get a CT scan, which the doctors will use to plan their means of attack.  I'll hang out at the cancer center for a couple of hours while they do that.  Then I'll be brought back in to get the actual radiation.  And that's it!  No daily visits for additional doses, like most people get now.  Just wham, bam, thank you, ma'am.  :)

I am excited about the prospect of pain relief; I just wish I didn't have to wait three weeks to get it.  Please pray that I will be able to manage until then.  I am especially wary about traveling for work next week.  Sitting is one of the hardest positions to sustain and I will be doing nothing but that on the flight and during the week-long training session.  Thank you so much for all you do to help me.  I know the prayers are what sustain me and give me hope rather than despair.

Comments

  1. im experiencing a lot of discomfort and pain in my t3 t4 spine area. ive been doing physio, referred to by my gp. after 4 sessions i have got worse rather than better and last week i experience shortness of breath, sever migraine headaches, tingling down arms, sciatic nerve has got worse and felt nausea. been watching heart rate of fitbit and when calm and relaxed drops to 55 or 45 on occasions. should i be asking more questions from them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely go see a doctor for your symptoms. That is a lot to be dealing with!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts