Look Good...Feel Better

Last Tuesday, I got to participate in a program called Look Good...Feel Better.  It was a two-hour hair and makeup session - just for cancer patients.  Tons of companies donated makeup and body care products and all of us girls got a bag of everything from body lotion to concealer to eye shadow.  Here are the contents of my bag of goodies:
We then spent an hour trying out the makeup and getting tips from a professional on how to deal with beauty issues specific to women going through chemo or other cancer treatment.  For example, how to make it look like you have eyebrows or eyelashes when they've fallen out, how to cover dark circles under your eyes, or how to add color to pale cheeks.

The second hour was spent on head coverings - from wigs to hats to scarves.  The woman who led this section has had alopecia for 20 years, so living without hair is a daily, long-term reality for her.  She gave us pros/cons on synthetic versus real hair wigs and explained all the different options available (there are a lot!).  She also showed us numerous ways to tie scarves and fun ways to use hats.  Her half of the class was definitely my favorite; I really appreciated her willingness to share her life experience with us and vulnerably bare her head in front of us.

The Look Good...Feel Better program is just one way that organizations reach out to cancer patients and make us feel supported and cared for.  It's really made a difference to me, to know I'm not alone and that people actually care, not just about my health and treatment, but that I like the way I look when I leave the house in the morning.  If you have an opportunity to support these programs or the companies who donated their products, do so.  Patients like me thank you.  :)

Here is the list of companies whose products I received in my product bag: American Beauty, Aveda, Avon, BeautiControl, Chanel, Cover Girl, Dove, Estee Lauder, L’Oreal, Lancome, Lubriderm, Mary Kay, Merle Norman, N.Y.C., Shisheido, St. Ives.

Comments

Popular Posts