Milestones

On June 26th, it will be seven years since I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Seven years since I first stared a three-year life expectancy in the face. Seven years since imagining I might not live to see my 40th birthday, and seven years since I acknowledged I may never get to see my nieces and nephews graduate from high school. 

But today, I got to see one of them graduate from elementary school. It’s not high school, but it was a milestone nonetheless, with a ceremony, and I was there to see it. I was there to be in the pictures and to make a memory that will hopefully stay with my nephew after I’m gone. I picture him looking at this photo and thinking, “Aww…remember when Auntie Kat was with us?” 

Obviously I’ve lived much longer than the average life expectancy so far. Maybe a high school graduation will be in my future. But I’m not waiting on making those memories, celebrating all the milestones, and documenting my presence. I’m trying to get all the love in before I’m gone.

Comments

Popular Posts