Talzenna Update

I've now been on my new treatment (Talzenna) for three weeks and had my check-up with my oncologist yesterday, so I thought it was time for a little update for you! My blood counts came back remarkably well yesterday (very little immune suppression so far), and my liver and kidney function also looks good. It seems I haven't been affected by the worrisome side effects of the treatment yet, which is obviously good news. They'll recheck everything again in a month and do scans after I've been on the new treatment for three months, which will be in May. 

As for how I've been feeling on the new treatment, it's been hard to say until now. I've been extremely fatigued, the kind of tired that just makes you want to cry. But I've also been taking multiple prescription pain killers, which cause drowsiness. So the past four days I've tried going without my pain meds to see if I could perk myself up a bit. Thankfully, the pain has lessened enough that I've been able to do that. The experiment has been unsuccessful, though. I don't have any more energy or feel any less sleepy. Boo.

The oncologist asked if I've been able to do my regular activities and I had to laugh because my "regular activities" involve resting on the couch in my sunroom, resting on the couch in our basement, or resting in my bed. So yes, I've been able to do those. :D I can also throw a load of laundry in or put my dishes in the dishwasher, but I'm very, very thankful that Kevin picks up all the other slack, like cooking, grocery shopping, etc. He's the best!

Talzenna can also cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and change in taste. I've never been a person who was easily nauseated or prone to stomach troubles and that continues to be the case, but coffee no longer appeals to me and I have to force my cup down (because of course I still want the caffeine!). Food also doesn't seem to taste as good and it's hard to get excited about eating much. 

Overall, except for the fatigue, I think this treatment is pretty tolerable, and I hope it works for a long time! I'm going to be referred to the physical medicine clinic at the cancer center to see what they can do to help my pain without drugs and I'm looking forward to that. I'm also THRILLED that I was able to get my covid vaccine last week! Hip hip hooray! If my immune system stays stable, I should be able to leave the house again beginning in mid-April. I didn't realize how much I've missed that until I teared up walking in to get the vaccine.

Thanks, as always, for your care, concern, and prayers! They mean so much to me!

Comments

  1. Oh my heart goes out to you! He has you in His grace. You know - we so live in Him! Praying for strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much Kat. I teared up at well when I got my vaccine last week.
    Fyi- I have also been extremely tired/fatigued and emotional from vaccine. Hang in there & c u soon love. 💓oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending love & prayers
    <3
    Shannon @ Tigerlily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts