New Treatment and Making Memories


Today marks one week on my new treatment, Talzenna. There was a delay from the manufacturer due to weather in Nashville, so I was off all treatment longer than I would have liked, but I'm now settling into my new medication routine. Talzenna can be taken any time of day, with or without food, so it's much more flexible than my last treatment. The only quirky thing about Talzenna is that I'm not supposed to touch it with my bare hands or let it touch other pills, like in a pill case. This makes it a little harder to remember to take because I can't throw it in with the other pills I take every night. But Kevin made me an app to track my pills, and I use the reminder feature to keep me on track.

I haven't noticed any new side effects. I definitely have less energy, but I think that is likely due to the pain medications I'm on. Since the majority of Talzenna's side effects are blood-related (anemia, low white blood cells, low platelets, etc.), I suspect they may take longer to show up. But I'm very thankful that I haven't had the nausea or vomiting that lots of women experience on this drug. 

I am feeling bummed that the low blood counts mean my immune system is significantly compromised and that I will have to keep practicing infection prevention precautions, even when the rest of the country opens back up. But I'm a champ at social distancing now!

This past weekend, three of my good friends planned a weekend getaway at my friend's parents' lake house. We all quarantined for 7-10 days ahead of time and got Covid tests to make sure we were safe to mingle. And then mingle we did!

It was an absolute treasure to have this time with my friends. I basically just had to hop in the car and they took care of the rest, even making meals based on what I can (or more importantly, can't) eat. There was comfy furniture and heating pads to go around. Not to mention the water view! We didn't even get to the crafts or the movies or the games we brought; we were having so much fun just chatting and making memories.

This was more than just a fun girls' getaway. This was time we intentionally set aside because we know that darker days are coming. We don't take for granted that there will be many more chances to spend time together; the future is uncertain. 2020 taught us that, as well as my latest progression. Carpe diem, friends. Carpe diem.


Comments

  1. What a blessing to have such good friends Katherine! You are such an inspiration and am thankful God has placed you in our lives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts