Tumor Markers

There are certain elements in our bodies that, when elevated, have been shown to indicate the presence of cancer. They're collectively called "tumor markers." Over the past four years, my high-risk doctor monitored my CA 125 levels, because having increased amounts of this "cancer antigen" (CA) protein in one's body could signal the presence of ovarian cancer. My elevated levels at the beginning of 2015 are what prompted the surgery to remove my ovaries last July.

It turns out, for me, the CA 125 test indicated the return of my breast cancer and not ovarian cancer at all. There are other tumor markers that are typically associated with breast cancer - CA 15-3, CA 27.29, and one called CEA - but for me, the CA 125 seems to correlate.

From what I've heard in my online support groups, tumor markers are good indicators for some people and not for others. Maybe they are also good indicators at some point and stop being good indicators later. But since mine dropped dramatically after starting treatment a year ago, I asked my doctor if we could check my levels again with my most recent bloodwork. Here's a graph of my past results and the results from this month:


I'm thrilled my numbers continue to be low. Here's to another year just like this one!

Comments

  1. Congrats, so happy for more good news. You are on my mind so often - stay strong my sweet friend. 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts