Testimony


If you are a Christian, you will probably be called on to share your "testimony" a number of times in your life. What is meant by that* is usually a recounting of how you came to know God and have a personal relationship with Him. In my own case, that is a very short and uneventful story: I grew up in a Christian home and "asked Jesus into my heart" at age four.

But note that that type of a testimony isn't even included in the Merriam-Webster's dictionary definition above. The second definition is interesting, though: "Proof or evidence that something exists or is true." I suppose that sharing how you came to salvation must be the beginning of every testimony, but it's just that - a beginning. Your testimony shouldn't stop there. A testimony, by definition, is "proof or evidence" of God's work in you, that your claim to Christianity is true. Your testimony is not the recounting of a single event; it's a story being continuously written as it unfolds over the course of your lifetime.

So I have a hard time when someone asks for my testimony. How can I recount all the ways God has worked in my life over my years so far? There's so much to tell! And my story is still very much in progress. I still have so far to go. And so I hesitate to share when time is limited. At church, I procrastinated almost a year in becoming a member because I couldn't figure out how to share all that God has done in my life in the tiny little space on the paper I was given. I faced a similar dilemma a couple of months ago when I was asked if I would share my testimony at our church's women's retreat. I would only have 10 minutes.

There is no way I could share all the amazing things God has taught me in my life so far in ten minutes! And I wanted God to get His glory. I didn't want to gloss over things and fail to convey the depth of the work God has done in my life. So I prayed about what God wanted me to share and I believe He gave me just what was needed for that time and place. (Coincidentally, the retreat was held at the camp where I was a camp counselor 20 (gasp!) years ago - how fun!) But it was only the beginning of the story. There is much more to tell.

However, some of you missed even the beginning that I shared, either because you couldn't come to the retreat, you don't go to our church, or you live out-of-town. And to those who couldn't make it, I promised that I would still share my story with you. I spoke from my heart when I shared last month, so I can't re-create the exact same experience, but I can share a written version of my testimony here.

I think I'll do it in segments, though, as it would be one L-O-N-G story otherwise and you'd probably quit before getting to the end. Or maybe I give you too little credit. :) Either way, here is the kick-off message. I'll post the next part in the coming days.


* In the U.S. In Africa, a "testimony" is more like a word of encouragement or a small example of grace and you may be called on to give one every time you gather with other believers.

Comments

Popular Posts