I wrote before about losing my hair - how much I dreaded it and how I marked that milestone by having my friends and family shave my head.  But I haven't provided an update on what it's like to have no hair.  First of all, I was surprised that, although I am completely bald except for some white-blond peach fuzz, my eyelashes and eyebrows have stayed put.  No need for those false eyelashes my considerate friends bought me!  I also still have the hair on my arms, but I don't have to shave my legs anymore.  It's pretty strange how that's all worked out.  And it's not just based on the drugs I'm taking.  I have a friend who is getting the same drugs and she's lost her eyelashes and eyebrows, in addition to her hair.

As for head coverings, Lucky has been my wig of choice whenever I've felt the need to have hair.  Trashy just doesn't feel like me, although she did make an appearance at Andrea's 80s party.  :)  There are bonuses to wearing a wig: I only have to wash my "hair" every 15 wearings.  Rain doesn't mess it up.  I can leave it in the same style day after day and never have to do anything to it.  I can get ready so much faster now!  But the down side is that wearing a wig is uncomfortable.  It's bearable for as long as I need to wear it, but it comes off the second I walk in my front door!  Lucky can often be found sprawled on the couch or perched the kitchen table. 

I really enjoy the style of the scarves I have and I wear those pretty often.  I even got a beautiful, free, silk scarf from Good Wishes, with a card in the package personally signed by at least a dozen members of their staff.  The scarves are more comfortable than my wig, but they still keep in a lot of heat.  I'm so glad I'm not going through this in the summer!  I think part of the reason I'm hot so often is because I have been having hot flashes, a side effect of the chemo messing with my hormones.  I prefer to call these hot flashes "heat waves," since they come over me in a wave that rises up my body and blazes out my face (plus I sound so old when I say I'm having hot flashes!).

I have also enjoyed wearing all the hats people have made for me or had someone else make for me.  I love having something made especially for me; all the styles and colors are so fun!  When my wig comes off, a hat usually goes on.  Even though I have the aforementioned heat waves, my poor bare head gets cold in between waves!  The hats are a comfy way to stay warm and remember that the person who sent them to me cares about me and wants me to feel encouraged.

Only two more chemo treatments now, but my hair probably won't start growing back for at least a month after treatment ends.  And even then it will only grow a 1/2 inch per month, so I suspect I'll be in wigs, hats, and scarves for the foreseeable future.  Good thing I have so many cute options!  :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts