New Treatment

Last Tuesday, after almost two months away, I headed back to the cancer center to meet with my oncologist and begin a new treatment. What that new treatment was going to be, I didn't know. I hadn't been able to have the blood biopsy recommended by Johns Hopkins before our trip to England, so I knew I wouldn't be starting Enhertu, the treatment that biopsy might show I'm a candidate for. But I felt relief knowing that it no longer matters which order I try treatments in and that trying one doesn't mean I'm burning my bridges for trying another. I went in with an open mind to hear my oncologist's plan.

His thinking was still the same - try a new chemo my cancer has never seen (carboplatin) and combine it with an immunotherapy drug (Avastin), which is a whole class of drugs my cancer has also never seen. Cancer is tricky and his thought is to be tricky ourselves - coming at the cancer from a new direction. His strong preference was not to repeat paclitaxel, the drug I had in 2011 that Johns Hopkins suggested I try again, for the simple reason that my cancer has seen it before and might already be resistant to it. I was okay with that reasoning and we chose to move ahead with carboplatin and Avastin. 

The blood biopsy kit had just arrived that very morning (so glad I wasn't waiting on results to determine my next treatment!), and I was able to get the blood drawn and sent away. Apparently, the results will take 4-6 weeks to get back but will also provide info on my cancer's mutations as well as the HER2 status. 

Things were a little different this time in the infusion chair. Because of the hurricane, there is a nationwide shortage of IV fluids, so my anti-nausea pre-meds were given orally instead, and I wasn't given my usual bag of fluids for rehydration. This actually resulted in me feeling better after treatment, as the usual amount of fluids they give me make my stomach bloated and uncomfortable, and I usually have a horrible sick, full feeling when I leave treatment.

There are other positives about this new treatment regime. These new drugs come in smaller bags of liquid and run more quickly, so it's less time at the appointment, despite getting two drugs instead of one. It also shouldn't affect my bone marrow as much, so no more giving myself shots for days after treatment. But the best thing of all? This treatment is only given once every three weeks instead of twice! 

Overall, I'm feeling optimistic. I felt well the day of treatment and I've continued to feel well over the course of the week. That is such a mood boost! I have had more fatigue, but that could be the jet lag and not the new treatment. I'm reserving judgment for now. I have definitely experienced one side effect, which is bleeding. So far it's been very mild; however, it needs to stop or at least not get any worse or I won't be able to continue this treatment. So that is prayer request number one. 

The other is for my brain MRI tomorrow. This is my two-month follow-up to see if the gamma knife surgery is working. Obviously, we are hopeful that it is and that the MRI shows a complete reduction in the number and size of the tumors in my brain. And prayers that I won't feel claustrophobic and anxious during the MRI itself.

Thank you so much for all your care and concern for me. I really appreciate it!

Comments

Popular Posts