In the Rearview Mirror

Kisqali has been a bumpy ride for me so far. My first month on the drug I came down with covid (it finally caught me with my compromised immune system) and I had to halt my cancer treatment in order to take the covid prescription. I also had to stop my anxiety meds cold turkey, which was a lot harder. I'm happy to say all of that is behind me now. This month's blood work shows that my bone marrow is taking a bigger hit than is safe, however, so I will need to reduce my dose of Kisqali going forward and be very careful not to get an infection until my bone marrow is in better shape. We'll scan in September to see if all of this is helping. 

Honestly, I'm not feeling optimistic. Some of my digestive issues from last summer have returned (which we think are caused by the tumors in my liver) and my tumor markers continue to climb. Some days I feel well-endowed with the grace to carry the burden of a terminal illness; other days, I fervently wish God had called me to serve Him through different life circumstances. 

It is a strange thing to live with death in your rearview mirror. You can see it slowly gaining on you and do your best to accelerate away from it, but it's always there, within view, coming closer and closer. You don't know when it will overtake you, but you know it will.

So you live the day you're given. You plan to take the trips NOW, because putting them off might mean never doing them. You prioritize your to-read pile, because realistically, you're not going to get to all those books. You wonder if you should invest in those artisan-made, ethical fashion shoes you want, because what if you only have a year to wear them? Is the investment still worth it? Should you start selling your belongings so your husband doesn't have to do it later? You try to find something meaningful to make each day worthwhile, but sometimes all you feel up for is some mindless home renovation show. Is that a day wasted?

This is life with death in the rearview mirror. 

But I know that just ahead is a glorious view. Death may overtake me, but it cannot keep me from reaching my destination. And then all will be made new! 

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” (Rev. 21:1-5)

The journey may not be easy, but all things will be redeemed and set right. That thought cheers me, even as I glance in the rearview mirror.

Photo by Taras Zaluzhnyi on Unsplash


Comments

  1. Sweetie I understand as I've been diagnosed with terminal liver disease. I too think of the things you mention but have learned to look forward to the day I will have peace. My family will be ok because they have memories that are good and have built good lives for themselves. My husband will continue to be loved by our family until his day ends. I've always been praying for you sweetie. Hugs and love. The future holds beautiful and bright lights for us. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I'm sure that must be difficult for you and your family. Thank you for praying for me in the midst of your struggle. Will you share your name with me so I can pray for you by name? <3

      Delete
  2. Lifting you in prayer. You are such an inspiration and such a warrior fighting with such Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cancer is gone, but I’ve had chronic pain for 40 years. I’m really sorry about the cancer in your body. I remember times when all I could pray was, “Come, Lord Jesus, come.” Is it selfish to want him to come back sooner? I pray for you. Always. I pray for your husband. You guys influence many in this hard, hard journey you are on. Know that you are very loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chronic pain is a trial all its own. I'm so sorry you live with that every day. I find comfort in these words from the song Blessings, by Laura Story: "We know that pain reminds this heart that this is not our home." Thank God this life is not the only thing our existence will experience! All our pain will be wiped away and redeemed somehow. What a glorious day that will be! Let us hobble along together until that day.

      Delete
  4. Praying for strength for both of you. You have lived already more life than some who have perfect health. You do not waste life and that is an honor to your Creator. I think we are often like the lion in the wizard of oz when he was facing the wizard on this side of the curtain. Death tries to instill fear or helplessness or hoplessness into us, to make us believe it has power. It doesn't want us to notice or remember that Christ pulled away that curtain to show death as it really is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death is defeated! What does anything else matter except that?! Yes, he and it are revealed as the posers they are - behind the curtain, nothing with any real power. "O death, where is thy sting? O hell, where is thy victory?" "The body they may kill: God's truth abideth still; his kingdom is forever!" (A Mighty Fortress Is Our God)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts