Coffee, Garlic, Oh My!

In my last update, I mentioned that I've experienced some taste changes since being on Talzenna. This struggle is real, y'all. Coffee is grossing me out! Even the smell turns my stomach. I've tried various things to make it more palatable (short of adding sugar-laden creamer) but today I finally accepted that it's time to quit including me in the cup count for our morning pot of coffee. I'm so sad.

I've also noticed that I've been adding extra spices to just about everything. This reminds me of the first time I ever cooked for Kevin. It was when I was going through chemo. I don't remember what I made but I know it called for garlic. The amount the recipe specified added almost zero garlic flavor, however, so I added more "to taste." I'm not usually an "adventurous" cook like that, playing fast and loose with the measurements, but the recipe was clearly significantly short on garlic.

Later, during dinner, I sat happily eating my portion, enjoying the delicious garlic flavor, while Kevin sat shuffling food around his plate. Since I had been trying to impress him with my culinary skills (or at least convey an adequate mastery of the task), it bothered me that he didn't seem to be enjoying his dinner. I hoped to be able to make more meals for this guy in the future, so I screwed up my courage and asked if there was something wrong with the food. He stammered a bit at first but then admitted that the garlic flavor was so overpowering that he could barely eat it.

Whoops.

I suspect something similar is happening with my new medication. But now I know not to be seasoning things anyone else has to eat! Still, I miss things having flavor and will especially miss that nice morning cup of coffee to get me going every day.

I see the oncologist tomorrow and I'll post another update from that visit later this week.

Comments

  1. Glad that you can still have a sense of humor in the midst of the frustrations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts