Surviving and Thriving

Today is a day for the record books. Or at least for my record books. Today I worked my last day at the University of Virginia Health System. Yes, my last day. Forever. It is hard to believe that chapter of my life has ended. The past eight years have been full of learning, challenges, teamwork, problem-solving, encouragement, huge growth in my career, pride in our accomplishments, friendships, and hard work. I was part of something bigger than myself and it was pretty special.

But, as you may know from reading other posts here, ever since my metastatic diagnosis last July, I've wrestled with how to balance work, health, and home, how to do it all justice, how to do me justice. I've come to realize it's not possible. Numbers Girl I may be (see pics below if you're not familiar with the reference from my first cancer go-round), but Superwoman I am not. I came to terms with that reality last week.

And so today was my last day to wear the UVA badge. I started the day with tears, but ended with laughter, thanks to the photo booth a colleague set up in the office:

As I drove home this evening, I turned on the radio and the first thing I heard was a song that had gotten to the part that says, "It's time for us to more than just survive / We were made to thrive." I have definitely felt like I was just "surviving" over the past year; I'm really looking forward to some "thriving." A new chapter begins tomorrow.



Comments

  1. You are amazing. I'm so glad we got to meet you and spend time together at Natural Bridge and then enjoy ice cream with Kevin too. May our Father continue to give you laughter on the journey He has preplanned out for you to thrive and survive on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just now catching up on your blog and saw this post. So sorry to hear this, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts