Things are about to get awkward.  I can tell.  I am going to be the elephant in the room.  My cancer, the subject everyone tip-toes around.  The conversation killer.  I'll be the one no one knows what to say to.  Hey, even I don't know what to say about this!  I've sat and stared at this page for over half an hour without composing more than three lines.  There is just no easy way to break bad news.  My cancer is back and it's not going away.  It's incurable.

But it's not un-treatable.  That is the major big news we got at my doctor's appointment yesterday.  In fact, I've already started treatment!  The biopsy told the doctors that my cancer cells are estrogen receptor positive (ER+), like they were last time, which means that estrogen tells the cancer cells to grow.  If we can remove all the estrogen from my body, the hope is that we can keep the cancer from growing or spreading.  I fortuitously just had my ovaries removed (smile), so the major source of estrogen is already gone.

There are also a good number of drugs that target ER+ cancer in one way or another. My first treatment is a combo of drugs: Femara and Ibrance.  Ibrance is a new drug that was just approved by the FDA in February and has been shown to extend the effectiveness of Femara from 10 months to 22 months, with very few side effects.  It's being called a "wonder" drug and the best one to be discovered in the past 10-20 years.  I'm thankful I'm a candidate to take it, even if it does cost $10,638 for 21 pills!  My car cost less than that!  (but don't worry, my insurance covers it - thank you, Jesus!)

The main side effect of these treatments is low white blood cells, so I will be getting blood work every two weeks to make sure they're not dropping too low.  With low white blood cells comes a weakened immune system and susceptibility to infections, so expect to see me washing my hands or using antibacterial gel a lot.

In addition to the pills, I'm getting a monthly injection of Xgeva.  I am told this will give me bones of steel, so I expect to be addressed as Iron (wo)Man the next time you see me.  :)  All joking aside, this drug is not to be taken lightly either.  Cancer that has spread to the bones makes them prone to fracture, as I've already experienced in my spine.  My doctor said that before Xgeva, it was not uncommon for women like me to end up with steel rods in their arms, legs, and spine.  And all I have to suffer through is a shot once a month.  The shot IS a bear, as shots go, but things could be a lot worse.

Speaking of my spine, I will go next week for a consultation with a radiation oncologist.  Since my cancer is localized to one part of my spine right now, it might be possible to get radiation to reduce that lesion and also my pain.  They will just need to see if they can do that without harm to the surrounding organs and tissue.  Beyond radiation, it doesn't sound like there is much to be done about my back pain.  I have discovered that a heating pad helps and over-the-counter pain relievers knock the edge off a bit.  But I won't lie - the thought that this pain might not go away is discouraging.

And (good news here) I might be dealing with the pain for the next 10 years, because, with so many treatments available to try, my doctor doesn't think it unreasonable to expect to live that long or longer!  It all depends on how well the treatments work for me and how well I tolerate the side effects.

Thank you so much for your prayers, cards, Facebook posts, packages, shared verses, meals, etc.  We feel very loved and cared for.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this update. We will certainly be praying. Praising God with you that this is treatable. And while they are treating it, maybe someone will come up with a cure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine I read all of your posts and I am so inspired by you. Not just by your tremendous strength in this situation, but in the fact that you have the extra strength and conpassion to walk us right along with you and to comfort US as we are concerned for YOU!! WOW. Keep writing....we are just awestruck by you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts