Update to My Last Update

Yesterday, Kevin and I met with my oncologist. I had spoken with him on the phone last week when I received the results of my MRI, so I wasn't expecting much new information at this appointment, only a chance to clarify some lingering questions I had and receive my next round of treatment. But there was new information and new concerns.

Apparently, the cancer having spread into new territory and causing pain is enough to conclude that my current treatment is no longer working for me. There are only so many treatments available and eventually I'll come to the end of them, so needing to change treatment is significant. The cancer has outsmarted my attempts to fight it yet again. Sigh. Why is cancer so smart? 

The oncologist told me my next recommended treatment option is Xeloda, a chemo drug, but one I'll take orally. I'll switch to that pending a clean brain and neck MRI they'll do on Sunday. Yes, I get to do another MRI. Cue all the prayers. I've had enough little symptoms add up (lightheadedness, changes in hearing, and tingling down my right arm) that they think they should do a sweep of this area that none of my routine scans catch to make sure it's cancer-free. None of these symptoms are especially bothersome to me, but they could signal underlying issues. I'll be glad to know for sure.

We are still processing this change to my treatment plan and what my cancer spreading means. God brought to mind some lyrics from the song, Sovereign Over Us: "And He meets us in our mourning with a love that casts out fear," as well as His words in Isaiah 41:13, "For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I am the one who helps you.'" He is here with me, holding me up, helping me, and His love can cast out any fear that overtakes me. May He be praised even in this.

Comments

  1. Katherine, there are no appropriate words…. You encourage us all as we fret over you.
    With you, I praise the Lord for His love and work in your life, and the many lives He touches and will touch because of your faithfulness. I will pray for your nerves (MRI), about your pain, and His will.
    Thank you for giving us the privilege of traveling this hard journey with you. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. REPOSE IN ME, BELIEVING IN MY GOODNESS AND I PROMISE YOU BY MY LOVE, I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lifting you up in prayer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine, thank you so much for sharing everything about your cancer. I learn so much from you. And I love your unwavering faith in our Savior Jesus Christ. He truly does help us through mortality if we let Him. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think of you daily as you continue to fight the fight with grace and steadfast trust in God and his will for you. Fighting right along with you…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts