Welcome to My Life

In anticipation of New Year's 2020, many groups announced Roaring Twenties-themed parties and much ado was made over the beginning of a new decade. I think right now we would all agree that 2020 isn't panning out the way we had imagined. Even if we hadn't given the new decade much thought at its onset, I'm pretty sure no one envisioned our lives would be altered to the vast extent they have been. Schools are closed for the remainder of the school year, all but the most essential of businesses are closed, with employees working from home, and the events we used to attend in person are now held over the internet or are postponed. It's been a big shock for our country and the world.

It's also been a chance for me to say, "Welcome to my life." Turns out my everyday life looks a whole lot like your life under quarantine. I don't say "Welcome to my life" with a grimace or in an attempt to make you feel sorry for me. I haven't been unhappy with my life or the limitations life with stage 4 cancer brings, although it has challenges, of course. I truly do welcome you to this place with me. The average American is getting to walk a mile in my shoes right now and, for someone who often feels on the outside, this opportunity to fit in brings me joy. So thanks for joining me! (I grieve that it's under such horrific circumstances, though.)

Not only is everyone joining me in the stay-at-home life right now, but a whole new world of opportunities for things to do from home is being created before our eyes. I'm busier than I have been since going out on full-time disability in the fall of 2016! I've been able to attend the Banff Film Festival, visit the top museums in the world, and check-in with the animals in various zoos. I get to see Broadway shows from my couch. I'm attending live exercise classes and happy hour via Zoom. I joined an online writing community, started a cross-stitch project, take my dog on extended walks almost daily, accepted the challenge to recreate a work of art with things around my house (see results below), even recorded myself reading a storybook (watch here).

This massive shift in your everyday life has brought a revival of sorts to mine. I had been in a rut, feeling useless and purposeless. I felt like I was just taking up space, waiting to die. Now I'm joined in this limited life with all of my friends, and the entire world is creatively coming up with things for me to be a part of, where I'm able to participate as fully as anyone else. I don't feel so alone. I don't feel so different. The sacrifice you are making to stay at home is saving the lives of people who might get exposed to covid-19, but it's also saving mine.

Girl with a Pearl Earring

Comments

  1. Katherine,
    You are amazing. You open our eyes to a perspective that we brush aside intentionally, finding comfort in dwelling on the things we have amassed rather than the things we have taken for granted and are freely given to us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts