Because Sunday was Orphan Sunday and I didn't mark it in a special way this year, I wanted to take a post to talk about the current impact my involvement with orphans is having on me.  I write this, not because I want to tell you about something I've done, but because I want to show you what a difference child sponsorship can make - and not just in a child's life.  In yours, as well!

I wrote this post almost a year ago, on my other blog - kkirshberger.blogspot.com.  Since then, I have also become involved in the life of a young man named Vicent.  A missionary couple I met while in Uganda two years ago mentioned Vicent in one of their recent newsletters:
Another area of ministry that we can’t avoid is helping a few of the millions of orphans in this country.  Let us introduce to you Vicent Galiwango.  This young man is 17 years old and was abandoned in an orphanage in 2003 by his mother, the only living parent. We have an early photo of him and the ribs were truly ‘outstanding’. Vicent (there is no ‘n’) wants desperately to finish his schooling but this orphanage no longer has funds. In fact, for those still living there, eating a meal is a sporadic event. Vicent is a lovely young man of good character. We would love to see his dream of schooling come true. We need help for him and others like him.
I could see from Vicent's picture in the newsletter that he had been living at Mercy Orphanage. Having been to Mercy, I knew the missionaries were not exaggerating when they said that getting a meal was a sporadic event there.  But now I had a tangible way to help the kids at Mercy who had broken my heart.  So I sent money for Vicent's school fees.

I have been getting updates on Vicent from the missionaries, as well as notes from Vicent himself. These are always a joy to me, but two weeks ago I received this message:
HI MUM HOW ARE YOU NOW DAYS,YESTERDAY I WAS IN A FASTING PERIOD FASTING AND PRAYING FOR YOU AND I KNOW ONE THING THAT GOD OUR GOD LOVES YOU AND HE NEW YOU BEFORE YOU WERE BORN,I WILL NOT GIVE UP ON PRAYING AND FASTING FOR YOU BECAUSE OUR GOD IS ABLE AND WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE,I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH MUM AND SEND ME GREETINGS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS,FROM VICENT SON
Vicent, who calls this childless woman his mother, had been praying and fasting for me and was writing to encourage me in my faith! Wow. Is that God or what? Only He could have orchestrated this. When I sent the money for Vicent's school fees, I had no expectation that I'd be able to keep up with Vicent. I didn't expect to be able to form a relationship with him or have the privilege of being called Mum. I also hadn't yet been diagnosed with cancer. I thought that my gift would be a one-sided blessing from me to Vicent. I had no idea that God was also preparing Vicent to be a blessing to me.

Be sure that when you give to God, He abundantly gives back to you: "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over" (Luke 6:38).  I hope you'll consider child sponsorship or some other care for orphans.  You'll not only be blessing them; you'll be blessing yourself as well.

Africa Renewal Ministries (ARM) is an organization I worked with while in Uganda two years ago. I am also a child sponsor through their program. This Christmas, they're trying to double the number of kids they have sponsored. Would you consider becoming a "parent" to one of the least of these?  Check out kids who are waiting here.

Comments

Popular Posts