Nowhere Grace Cannot Go

A few days after my last post, my dad received his final diagnosis - mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive cancer with few treatment options, especially for someone as weak as he has become. Our family has been reeling from the shock of Dad's rapid decline, his diagnosis and what it means, and our sudden shift from grown children to parental caretakers. We were just starting to make our way forward in this new path when we were dealt another devastating blow.

On Saturday, while I was visiting my in-laws for Christmas, Mom, in VA, fell down the outside stairs at her house, landing full-force on her left knee and crushing her tibia and fibula. She was rushed to the hospital where they've done one surgery so far and will be sent up to UVA Medical Center for a second surgery after the swelling goes down. They've told us she won't be able to walk for three months. Not to mention that their house isn't handicap-accessible and it seems unreasonable to expect she'll be able to go back there until after she's healed.

To me, it feels like more than I can bear. The back-and-forth in caring for Dad and his appointments and treatment was leaving me exhausted and in pain, missing my husband and my Luna dog - and yet, someone needs to do those things. How we are now going to care for two completely incapacitated parents that can't stay in the same house, I don't know.

And yet, God reminds me of His truth through this Advent devotional I'm way behind in reading. December 11's entry challenged me this afternoon: The secret to the abundant life is "to believe that God is where you doubt He can be." John Owen is quoted here as saying, "Nobody, no sin, (no illness or overwhelming circumstances) should lead to despair when the cure of God's sovereign, almighty grace is engaged." The author extrapolates, "Nobody and no situation - no sin, no mess, no decision - meets the diagnosis of despair. Because of God's cure of amazing grace. [...] No situation is more hopeless than your Savior is graceful." (The Greatest Gift, by Ann Voskamp)

So I fling myself on His grace yet again, board the plane that takes me back into the fray, and believe He will meet me there. "In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us" (Rom. 8:37).

Comments

  1. Praying for your whole family and the decisions that have to be made! Very difficult. I pray God puts people in your path to help with everything that is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your family! We were also faced with this type of situation a couple years ago. It is not easy. We hired Home Instead Senior are to help, but basically, myself, my sister, my daughter or husband was there for the duration. This situation takes a toll on you emotionally and then you are also not in your own bed, so sleep is sometimes not great. Take time for yourself and help each other. Your Mom is probably facing a rehabilitation hospital. I would investigate those now. They should offer physical and occupational therapy as well as encouragement and goals to get her home without a wheelchair. Mom might also be able to be sprung for a couple hours in the evenings to visit Dad after her surgery, just know she will be wheelchair bound until the therapist and doctor clear her to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot, hire help a few hours a week once she is home so that she does not over do it and reinjure herself. This help can actually grocery shop with or for her and can also do light cleaning and laundry. Home Instead Senior Care was wonderful for us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts